Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

I Wear Makeup to Rebel

I wear make up to rebel.

Wait, what? Is that even possible? Everybody wears makeup. It’s so mainstream. How is wearing it rebelling? Yes, I did just say that I wear makeup to rebel. And yes, it’s true. I am a redhead, and I have all of the vampire-esque features that go along with it: very pale skin, and, well, very pale skin. I also have blond eyebrows and eyelashes. This combination of features led me to fear makeup for the first 15 years of my existence.


Then, when I was 16 I finally asked my mom if I could get some BB cream. That was terrifying. My mom wears a liquid foundation and fills in her eyebrows and that’s it. My dad has always told me and my sister that makeup is ugly. So I did my research and decided that BB cream was a good first product because it’s so minimal. We went to Target and bought the first BB cream we could find. It’s probably a crap brand, but I didn't (and still don't) know better, and now I had my first makeup.

Fast forward 6 months and I wear dark (considering my pale-ness) eye makeup. Now, I will not sacrifice my sleep to wear makeup, so I usually only wear makeup a few times a week, and I like that. I don’t want people to cringe when they see my real face, and I don’t want to hide behind products. However, I also really like wearing something bold on my eyes. I love to wear my black mascara, and I wear it heavily. I also like filling in my eyebrows so that they are actually visible. I even like playing with eyeliner.

Now, this probably doesn't sound very dramatic, but it feels intense to me since I am still new to this whole slathering stuff on my face and on the hairs on my face. I like how my eyelashes are visible when they are black, and how I can show expressions better when my eyebrows are filled in. But most of all, I like how the darkness feels bold.


The first time I wore mascara, my dad asked if I was wearing “eyelash stuff”. When I said yes, he made a noise of disapproval. Wearing makeup is a way for me to show that I don’t care what my parents think about my style. I probably don’t apply it well since I've never been taught how to put on makeup, but wearing it anyway is a way to rebel against other students’ expectations. I was afraid of makeup for so long because I thought it would look foreign, but now I am so happy that I have finally taken the leap into the world of makeup and the exotic look that comes from wearing it is what I like the best. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this, it's so great that makeup can be so empowering!! also, I nominated you for the liebster award, so check it out: http://anexerciseofmyfaculties.blogspot.com/2015/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style of writing. A lot of people don't realize that we don't wear makeup just to impress others; we wear it because it's empowering and boosts your confidence.

    http://thatcrazygiraffe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. aah, I can relate to this too!

    Despite being a queer tomboy (don't really like the word, but kind of reclaiming it? ok, makes no sense) I am one of the very few people in class who wear make-up. Once in the locker room I heard girls from my class talking about how they were better than girls in year 11 because they "didn't wear make-up and didn't look slutty" ugh girl-hate needs to stop. Also those boys who say girls with make-up look bad, but then say the girls look sick when they aren't wearing any. Ahaha, who cares for their opinions anyway.
    Also, I use bb cream and cheek blush only, but I always use too much blush, make my cheeks really pink, kind of rebelling against the ~natural make-up~ hype.

    And your features sound so beautiful! Red hair and pale skin aah, like Anne of Green Gables!

    ReplyDelete